April 14, 2009

IPA Experiment

Wanting to get to know different malt and American hop profiles in IPA's, I decided to brew three different one gallon batches, each with only one hop variety. I decided to use Amarillo, Simcoe, and Nugget - these are pretty common hops in American IPA's, but most of my attention has been spent towards Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook so far. I'll probably do more of these batches in the future, and Ahtanum and Sterling are on the list. They were all fermented with US-05. Here are the recipe's:

Nugget IPA:
OG: 1.067

2.75 lbs. 2-Row
0.5 lb. Vienna Malt

0.2 oz. Nugget 13%AA (60 min)
0.2 oz. Nugget 13%AA (20 min)
0.2 oz. Nugget 13%AA (10 min)
0.2 oz. Nugget 13%AA (0 min)
0.2 oz Nugget 13%AA (Dry Hop)


Simcoe IPA:
OG: 1.067

2.75 lbs. 2-Row
0.25 lb. Crystal 10
0.25 lb. Carapils

0.2 oz. Simcoe 11.9%AA (60 min)
0.2 oz. Simcoe 11.9%AA (20 min)
0.2 oz. Simcoe 11.9%AA (10 min)
0.2 oz. Simcoe 11.9%AA (0 min)
0.2 oz. Simcoe 11.9%AA (Dry Hop)


Amarillo IPA:
OG: 1.061

2.5 lbs. 2-Row
0.5 lb. Munich Malt

0.25 oz. Amarillo 8.6%AA (60 min)
0.2 oz. Amarillo 8.6%AA (20 min)
0.2 oz. Amarillo 8.6%AA (10 min)
0.15 oz. Amarillo 8.6%AA (0 min)
0.2 oz Amarillo 8.6%AA (Dry Hop)


One gallon batches are a bit tougher to brew considering you're boiling off half your volume. I used Fermcap so I could fit as much as possible into the jugs. I was able to bottle just shy of one gallon from each batch, which is around 8-10 bottles. Not the best return, but I don't mind for experimental batches. They smelled and tasted great at bottling time, the Simcoe standing out the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment